Monday, February 18, 2008

Strange opening day

Baseball season got cranked up for local high schools Monday, but something was missing.

Make that someone.

As soon as I walked into Captain Shreve's baseball field, I saw longtime bird dog Bob Festervan standing near the screen. I exchanged pleasantries with him and we chatted for a minute or so before former Parkway, Byrd and Shreve coach Ronnie Coker walked in.

There was only one problem -- no James Farrar. Call him James, call him Coach, call him whatever, Farrar was baseball in the Shreveport area for a long time.

First as a coach and then as a scout and, for me, the person I'd always turn to if my story needed the right piece of wisdom or advice.

So, Coach, even though you're not working for the Astros anymore, come back to the ballpark. As good as it is, it will be a better place with you there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home