Saturday, December 15, 2007

Hulett gets a new home

I feel remiss that I missed the trade of former Evangel Christian Academy standout Tug Hulett earlier this week.

I try to stay connected when I'm out of the office, but this one slipped right past me. I was reading one of my favorite MLB-related blogs (mlbtraderumors.com) and saw Hulett had been traded from Texas to Seattle in exchange for Ben Broussard.

The Mariners were going to non-tender Broussard, meaning they would have received nothing in return for him. Instead, they now have Hulett, who gives the team some insurance behind Jose Lopez at second base.

Hulett played decently in his first season at Triple-A this year, hitting .273 for Oklahoma. He stole 20 bases, setting a new career high at one level.

Hulett is a solid defender who can run and has a strong knowledge of the strike zone. If something happens with Lopez, who was an All-Star in 2006 before backsliding in 2007, Hulett may get his first taste of the majors this year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home