Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Can't stop the Eaters

The last three years I've taken this week -- College World Series week -- as a vacation week.

I've watched CWS games while on trips to San Diego, San Francisco and a couple of stops in Texas in the past three years. After Tuesday night, let me say I'm glad I didn't take vacation this year.

If I had, I would have missed one of the most entertaining CWS games in memory. I was in Omaha in 2000 when Rick Haydel scored from first on a squeeze bunt and throwing error as Louisiana-Lafayette eliminated Clemson.

I thought that game was one of the best I'd seen at the CWS. That is until Tuesday night. Thanks to another mid-major making its CWS debut, Omaha has another classic.

UC Irvine has done it again, stunning Arizona State in 10 innings to become the first team in CWS history to win consecutive extra-inning games. By doing so, the Anteaters added to their giant-killing list. The last four teams Irvine has eliminated in the NCAA Tournament are Texas, Wichita State, Cal State Fullerton and Arizona State. Total championships between those teams: 16. Total NCAA Tournament appearances for Irvine including 2007: 3.

Yes, Cinderella lives. And she's taken the form of an Anteater.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home