Sunday, March 4, 2007

These guys get it

As part of my story in Sunday's Times, I was able to speak with Georgia baseball coach Dave Perno, someone who's quickly becoming one of my favorite people in the profession.

Here's a coach three states away who has called back TWICE after losses to answer my questions not pertaining to those games. The first time came three seasons ago when after the Bulldogs had lost to Georgia Southern in an early season game. Not thinking, I called Chris Lakos in the Georgia media relations department. Chris relayed the message and probably an hour later I was on the phone with coach Perno.

Same thing happened today, though the Dogs' loss was more understandable (a 4-2 defeat at the hands of Southern California). Perno was, as always, gracious with his time and affable.

Perno and the SEC coaches know where they are in the pecking order and that means they don't have to give time to the media, but they do so freely in order to help the game grow. From the weekly teleconferences to individual phone calls, the SEC baseball coaches do right by the media. That's refreshing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home